Peach and Pecan Baklava
Prep Time: 40 Min | Bake Time: 40 min | Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
Baklava is one of the most delicious dessert. A filling sandwiched with layers of crispy phyllo dough, and drizzled with a spiced sugar syrup.
Peach and Pecan Baklava
This Baklava inspired dessert has a peach and pecan filling and the combination of flavors and textures is divine. It is a real labor of love but well worth it!
- 9 x 13 pan or sheet pan (my inside measurement was 8 x 12 inches)
- Sharp knife
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 inch lemon peel
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups pecans
- 6 ripe peaches
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lb Phyllo dough pastry sheets fully defrosted (454 g)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or ghee (4 oz or 113 g)
- Grease pan well with butter or oil and set aside
- Add the white sugar, water, cinnamon and lemon peel to a sauce pan, cook for about 7 mins till it boils and thickens slightly, cool completely ( you can make in advance and refrigerate)
- Make the filling, chop the pecans finely.
- Chop the peaches and add to a saucepan with light brown sugar and cinnamon, cook for a few minutes till the peaches are softened but not completely mushy
- mix the peach mixture with the pecans, cool completely and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- melt your butter, it should be slightly warm not piping hot
- cut your pastry sheets to the size of your pan and keep them covered as you work so they do not dry out
- lay 2 sheets down on your greased pan, lightly spread the butter on the top layer and add two more sheets, keep going like this pastry sheet then butter till you have done about 14 sheets
- spread the filling evenly on the pastry sheet
- Start your layering again on top of the filling
- lay down two sheets, butter them and then another 2 sheets till you have done 20 layers. the last four sheets I butter between single sheets, its easier to cut that way
- Cut squares or diamond shape with a sharp knife. use a sawing motion and make sure you cut all the way through
- Bake at 375 for 20 mins lower the oven temperature to 350 and bake for another 20 minutes. make sure its nice and golden brown on top when you take it out, adjust time if you need to as ovens vary so much
- When its still hot out of the oven pour the sugar syrup all over it, wait a bit till its all soaked in and its ready!