Orange Upside Down Cake
Prep time: 30 min | Baking time: 35 min | Total time: 1 hour 5 min
I love a good orange flavored cake and when it is upside down it makes it even more special.
Orange Upside down cake
I used blood oranges and navel oranges for a two tone effect. The oranges are beautiful and this cake is so yummy and moist. This pretty little thing is the perfect accompaniment with tea or a yummy dessert any time!
- Stand or handheld mixer
- Ring pan or 9 inch round pan
- 3 oranges (I used blood oranges and navel plus 1 for rind and juice)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter for greasing pan
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks 226 g (8 oz))
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice about 1 large orange like navel
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease pan with softened butter well
- Slice the oranges like fairly thin round slices
- Make a sugar syrup with the 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Heat it till the sugar dissolves and add the orange slices. Let it simmer for 10 mins and set aside
- If using 2 kinds of oranges candy them in two separate pans and half the syrup recipe for each pan, that way they will retain their color
- save the left over syrup
- Arrange the orange slices in the buttered pan and set aside
- For the cake batter, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside
- Beat the softened butter and sugar till fluffy
- gradually add the eggs and vanilla and mix
- add the sour cream
- alternate the juice and flour twice till everything is mixed
- add the orange rind
- spoon the cake mixture into the prepared pan
- Bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes. It is ready when it starts to turn golden brown and a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- when cake is baked and still in the pan poke some holes with a toothpick or skewer and brush it with the reserved sugar syrup
- put your serving platter on the cake tin and flip it , to take cake out.
- Do this while it is hot and out of the oven so it does not stick to the pan.