Meringue Pops (Valentine Themed)
Prep time: 20 min | Baking time: 1 hr | Cooling time: 1hr | Total time: 2 hrs 20 min
I love anything Meringue, and these Meringue Pops are pure joy!
Meringue Pops (Valentine themed)
The Perfect Meringue cookies for valentines day! I piped two designs for some options and instead of lollipop sticks I used paper straws because they come in so many patterns. The oven temperature is very low so it wont burn the straws.
- 2 Baking sheet pans
- 2 sheets of parchment paper the size of the baking sheets
- Stand or hand mixer with a whisk attachment
- 4 piping bags
- 1 round piping tip, 1 star tip Wilton 2D or 1 M, 1 French star tip, 1 petal tip Wilton 104
- Paint Brush
- 10 paper straws or lollipop sticks
- 150 g egg whites
- 300 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Gel food colors of your choice (I used Fuchsia; rose pink, electric purple)
- Preheat oven to 250 F
- Fit 4 Piping bags with nozzles and set aside
- Trace 5 hearts on one parchment paper the size of your baking sheets. Leaving some space in between. 3 on top, 2 on the bottom. flip the paper so the pencil mark does not get on your meringue and set aside
- Make meringue
- Whip up egg whites till frothy with the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, add cream of tartar and vanilla, then gradually add sugar with the mixer on a low speed.
- once all the sugar is in , whisk on high speed till the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is stiff and glossy
- While Meringue is whisking up Prepare your Piping bag fitted with the French star tip. Paint 6 straight lines on the inside with the Fuchsia gel color. ( this is optional but gives a pretty effect)
- Carefully add the Meringue to the bag
- add some plain white meringue to the bag with the round tip
- Divide the rest of the meringue in to two. color one pink and one purple. gently fold it in so you do not lose all the volume and you do not have to completely mix in the color.
- Add the pink meringue to the star tip bag and purple meringue to the petal tip
- You should have 4 prepared bags now
- stick the plain parchment paper with some meringue on to your baking sheet so it does not move around when you are piping. attach 5 straws with some meringue on the sheet.
- with the striped bag fitted with the French star tip nozzle, on top of the straw, pipe 3 hearts. apply pressure and pull in on both sides ( explained much better in the Youtube video )
- on your 2nd parchment paper attach the straws in the middle of the hearts and using the traced hearts as a guide, pipe designs with the piping bags till it fills up like in the pic.
- Add some sprinkles
- Bake at 250 F for 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 215 F and bake for another 45 minutes, don't open the oven door and let them cool completely in the oven
Enjoy! Some helpful tips: Make sure your bowl and whisk attachment is very clean. Meringue and grease do not mix! you can wipe the bowl down with a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar Do not open the oven door till the meringues are completely cool, a few cracks are normal but this will prevent big ones. Don't over mix when you add the food color or your meringue will go flat and you will get no definition when you pipe.